Breast milk is the healthiest food you can give your baby. It provides all the nutrients, calories, and fluid your newborn needs for the first six months of life!
- Benefits your baby’s immune system and protects against disease and infection
- May reduce the risk of childhood obesity
- Helps prevent your baby from developing allergies
- Lowers a mother’s stress level and helps her body recover from childbirth faster
- Helps foster an emotional connection between mother and child
While any amount of breastfeeding benefits a baby, it is recommended that mothers exclusively breastfeed for the first six months of life.
Breastfeeding can be challenging, especially in the first few days. Talk with your pediatrician or lactation consultant to discuss any question you have or any problems you may face along the way. You can also call Santa Clara County’s breastfeeding support line at 408. 885.5950 for more information and to be connected to local resources in your area.